7.25.2008

Thoughts from the Classroom

Day four of my fourth trip to India. Nothing particularly significant in that but I noticed it right away when I began to type. Today we had a short time at the school in the classrooms which basically involves doing anything to interact with kids in English…Ben Jones and I drew animals on the board and had the kids copy them on paper. One little boy thought the paper was a slate so erased everything he drew each time we started a new animal. Or singing an action song. Or playing hangman on the board. Or taking the kids outside to play a game. Then we were loaded onto bullock carts and given an hour jolting, bumpy, sun drenched ride to a tribal village. There, drummers and dancers greeted us to a beautiful performance, drawing us into the circle to join them.

While we have been at the school we have painted classrooms. This has been a new deal for all of us. Really runny paint (the fumes even make you feel a little fuzzy) and soft sponge rollers, the painters perched on rickety homemade ladders or stools stacked on tables, all a little rocky. We also get out into the play yard and use any of the many games we brought with us. You look out and see one of us surrounded by kids as we launch balloons from a launcher. Or another tossing one boy after another into the air. Hand clapping games, or blowing bubbles as the kids try to pop them before they hit the ground. Anything we do seems like the best fun to them. We have decided that they just like being touched and receiving attention from us.

There is no way to find words to clearly describe what it feels like to be here again. Inadequately then I’ll try. I am amazed at this team. Their good humor when it is truly blazing hot and sweating happens. A lot. The servant attitude displayed to each one. The politeness displayed in a culture we don’t totally understand. The ability to just dive into new food, classroom time, and lots of new relationships. I love coming back and being hugged with huge smiles by the friends I made before (and hugging is rare in this culture). Our favorite teacher was married since last year and works at another school. So he comes 3 hours with his wife in order for us to meet her and pray and blessing over them and to share in some wedding sweets. It is an enormous thing to me to travel so far and find friends (in plural!) waiting for me.

Lori

No comments: