7.28.2009

Second day at the school!

Hello!! This is Ashley writing, and I would love to share with everyone what we did on our second day at Udamarry! The main part that stood out is...line dancing! Yes, we taught the Indian children and some teachers amazing Nebraska country dancing. I couldn't believe how quickly the students learned the dance! We never heard the rhythm stop throughout the day because the girls were constantly repeating the dance, and they kept asking us, "Dance, Mam" or "Dance, Sir". All I could hear the rest of the day was students saying: step behind, step together, step behind, step together, back, back, forward, back. Oh, and I must add that the song we chose to use was "Boot Scootin' Boogie". Hilarious since the girls made me sing the song for them when the music wasn't playing so that they could continue to dance!

Another part of the day that I will always remember was our stop at a slum village. I was struck hard emotionally when we first arrived because of the living conditions, but the children I saw immediately brought a smile to my face. I can't even explain how happy their smiles can make you feel! The children we saw were at school, but this school was definitely not a typical school. These students were meeting on a tarp under a roof made of bamboo. We gave each student a piece of candy for other kids in the village to see. The reason for this is because the parents in this village don't know much about school. In fact, all they probably know is "School is for the rich, not the poor like us". About 40 kindergarten age students attend this school in the middle of the village on a tarp now, and hopefully more parents will begin to send their students after they see that the school children are getting gifts like candy. On Friday, we are going to build a bamboo wall around the school so they actually have a building! We are very excited to be a part of the building of this school that has sprung off of Udamarry.

The children that I've seen here have really opened up my eyes to how far loving and caring for someone can go. A man from Washington who was staying at our base told us that 95% of sharing Christ with people here is to stand in front of them and be in their presence. Wow, how much do we take for granted the love others show us? I love others because of the love Christ has given to me. This is the only way I have been able to realize what it means to truly love someone. His example is the strongest example of love, and I want to show the Dalit here that this love does not come from myself, it comes from Christ. Christ's love for every person no matter what caste or rationality has been shown so tremendously to me here, and I can't wait for what else He is going to show me! Well, that's all for now, but another update should be coming soon once we get some freetime again during our busy days!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VERY exciting, and SOOOO good to hear, Ashley! Thanks for sharing. It's sounds like the teams reason for being lead there this year is becoming aboundantly clear... to be there with them! :)

ben k.